Monday 25 January 2010

(500) Days of Summer is a really good film.

It's always great when you catch a film that you've heard almost nothing about, and it's really good. Things like Iron Man 2, yeah I'm excited, but if pushed, I could give you a pretty good plot outline and a breakdown of every key scene. It doesn't tarnish the enjoyment of the film, but it does mean I'll sit in the theatre going 'right, so I still haven't seen that bit from the trailer, so obviously that dude can't die, and we've still got to see the big finale so that's another 45 minutes, call it an hour tops' and that's all I can think about for the entire movie.

So, when I see a flick like 500 Days, it's always great to be a little bit lost, a little bit unsure where the plot is going to lead, and what's going to happen. Plus, it's co-starring Zooey Deschanel, who I think I'm actually in love with, so that's another big plus for it. This film is not your average romantic comedy, and I say that as someone who actively loathes the genre, just for the sheer volume of crap that it manages to generate. The only other film I've seen recently in this genre that was actually decent was Definitely, Maybe, and I think I was predicated towards that thanks to Ryan Reynolds, who I would turn gay for so quickly that it'd cause sonic booms.

Anyway, 500 Days. It's got this wonderful narrative that skips back and forth all over the titular time period, and is great to watch on some form of portable media as opposed to the big screen, simply because you can skip backwards and forwards, seeing scenes repeat themselves with fresh perspective, and watching others with a sense of dread, as you know where they're building to. To be honest, I was sold on this film from the start, the rest was just backing up my initial impressions. The film opens on a title:


AUTHOR'S NOTE: The following is a work of fiction.
Any resemblance to persons living or dead
is purely coincidental.

Especially you Jenny Beckman.


Bitch.

No comments: