Wednesday 3 December 2008

Day Fifty Nine: Oh hey, that looks interesting...

You know what the worst thing about Wikipedia is?

(There are a great many things, actually. The fact that anyone can edit it, the lack of citation for much of it, the insanely anal habits of the administrators, the schizophrenic nature of their relationship with pop culture and the bizarre ways in which they format templates, seemingly arbitrarily. Anyway.)

The worst thing is that you can jump onto the Wiki to look at, say, Samuel L. Jackson, and after about half an hour's worth of facinated clicking, end up on the page for Scots Law.

(Here's how it went: From Samuel L. Jackson to Snakes on a Plane, to Ronny Yu, to Hong Kong, to English Language, to The United Kingdom, to Scotland and then to Scots Law.)

This is an arbitrary example, because no matter what I intend to look up when I'm there, I immediatly get distracted. It's why, for example, if I get drawn into discussions about politics or world events I bring up weird pieces of information that I should have no business knowing, like having intimate detailed knowlege about The Act of Union, or being able to describe how crystallization works. These revelations often make people think I'm a massive dork/nerd, which, admittedly, is true, but honestly, I don't ever go online with the intention of finding out just what exactly Poynings' Law is, I'm just easily distracted.

Well, now you know why I know random and useless information. I was probably just looking up Iron Man 2 and I just got distracted again.

(Oh shit there's Sam Jackson again I am lost.)

----------------
Now playing: Eric Clapton / Tears In Heaven

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nerd.