Monday 19 January 2009

Day Seventy One: Inernetnerts

So, have you guys heard about Microsoft Songsmith? It's the most insane and weird thing I've come across, today at least.

The original idea is that you sing into this program, and it then automatically generates music that matches your vocals, creating something lovely and beautiful, as illustrated by this lovely video.

(By the way, make sure you watch the whole movie. At the very least, skip to around 1:55, otherwise you'll miss the best ever line, delivered with not a hint of irony: "Microsoft, huh? So it's pretty easy to use?" Bravo. I bet the script editor sat up in bed and hugged himself after he came up with that.)

Anyway, that's not why this song is. See, if you take a rip of the vocals from any song, you can plug it into this program, and it'll automatically generate a result for you. They can, at times, be terrifying, like this version of 'Roxanne' by The Police, which has changed into something else entirely. Other songs, I think, bear experimentation. Like 'Wonderwall', which has now become my favourite song again, for all the wrong reasons.

I mean, this is just a completely weird and facinating thing, trying to watch technology interpret music and just coming up with completely insane versions instead. Look! 'Just What I Needed', by The Cars. What in the blue fuck happened there? Or with 'What's Going On?' by Marvin Gaye. I mean, we're way off the insanity chart and moving into "good and holy jesus this is freaking me out please make it stop" territory here.

The best, I think, is going to have to be 'Enter Sandman'. Man, that's just fucking completely batshit insane. While being completely fantastic, of course.

In fact, I'm not going to listen to cover versions of songs any more. I'm going to let Songsmith do the work from now on. Because this is beautiful.

----------------
Now playing: Alice Cooper / School's Out (But probably not the version you're thinking of.)

No comments: