Wednesday 21 January 2009

Day Seventy Three: Man, Battlestar is seriously awesome.

I mean, I'm not sure I've covered this enough. I've been re-watching it through from the beginning, and it's still capable of constantly rocking my socks. I think the main reason why is that I've been burned so many times before by other sci-fi shows.

The big thing as a kid for me was stuff like Stargate and Voyager, and the problem with these shows is that that had a very pronounced tendency to manage to change absolutely nothing from episode to episode. Okay, maybe that's unfair. Stargate at least changed slightly from season to season, there was a sense that there was a progressive plot line. Every five episodes or so something would happen to change the universe that these guys were living in, and that's a good thing.

But man, Voyager was just different class. Somewhere out there on the intertubes is a list of which characters have died, in which episode, and just how many times. The exact number is not important, it's just that over seven seasons, I seem to remember every single main character dying at least once. At least Stargate only did that with one character, and they had the good grace to make it a running joke.

Voyager though, was something else. That punched the reset button so often that I'm surprised it even worked by the time they got to the final season.

The point that I'm laboriously trying to make is that every single action that happens in BSG has consequences, consequences that actually have repercussions for more than two episodes. Also, it has killer robots, and wicked awesome space battles. So, yeah, you should totally check it out. We're in Season Four, and we're wrapping it all up, and it is awesome.

No comments: