Monday 10 November 2008

Day Forty One: Technical Difficulties

So, you might have noticed that there was no real update yesterday. Or rather, there was, but it was simply titled "Wait" and had a picture of Brad Pitt from Burn After Reading. That is because when I got back to university on Monday, I realised that for some reason, my internet wasn't working.

Shit.

Okay, so I try doing a System Restore. Despite me not having touched the computer over the weekend, something has gone wrong, so I'll take it back to before the weekend to change whatever crazy shit happened to it while it was turned off.

Nothing. And this is after waiting about half an hour for the Restore to take place.

Shitballs.

Alright, let's reinstall some drivers, that is generally a pretty standard fall-back. Only problem is, my CD drive has a habit of being a bastard and not working whenever I need it for something, which is pretty much every day, so I copy the CD onto my portable hard drive via Kate's computer, and do the driver thing.

Still nothing.

Cocking Shitbastardballs.

It's at this stage that I give up, and go out to Carnage, which I'll tell you about later today.

So I wake up, very hungover in the morning, and try plugging the computer directly into the modem, because holy fuck, I need Internets.

I'm currently writing this from the floor of my living room. The entire computer is in here with me, much to the disdain and horror of Emily. But, it's working wirelessly! I have no idea about the technical reasons for this. Maybe my network card was having an existential crisis, wondering if that mythical wireless network it was always connecting to was truly real. Indeed, is this not a beautiful metaphor for each of us, spinning through the void, desperately hoping to connect?

No, it's not. My PC just decided to be a cunt to me. The Bastard.

----------------
Now playing: Nothing. My speakers aren't plugged in.