Wednesday 22 October 2008

Day Twenty Eight: Goddamnit.

I have two essays due in on Monday. I am going to London for the entire day on Saturday. I have done maybe 200 words on each essay, which are 1000 and 2500 words. That's not including referencing, research, bibliographies and other words which all basically mean 'padding'.

I often wonder how references are justified. We reference shit in our essays, and that reference will refer to another essay, and so on, and so on. Except, for some reason, once you've written enough, the it just becomes fact when you say it. So, essentially, all essays are just massive, frightening circle jerks stemming from "That guy said it, so it must be true."

Anyway, I'm too tired to be doing any of this nonsense. And, my (admittedly, illegal) copy of Assassin's Creed has decided to start playing up and run in spectacular crappy mode. I know it's nothing to do with my system, because my system is fantastic. So, as a compromise, I decided to dig through that pile of Rockstar Games I bought the other week, and fired up GTA3 instead.

Rather than doing work.

Because I hate myself.

So I'm plugging away quite nicely, remembering all the old spots around the map, where to get the best cars and stuff, and I've done about half the missions when the game crashes on me. No popup, no warning, not even a helpful windows popup informing me that the game has crashed. Nothing.

Shit.

Ah well, these things happen, it's a game that was made in 2001, (Holy shit, 2001? Thats fucking insane, this game is near 8 years old. Holy hell.) these things happen. As the proud owner of Windows systems since I've been using computers, I'm used to these things. I cut my teeth on Windows ME, a system that takes all of the worries, unreliability and annoyances of Vista, and then compresses them into the finest, most painful user experience ever. The fucking thing once decided to wipe the entire hard drive, seemingly as a recreational excercise one day, which provided a good week of excited trawling through illegitimate forums and nigh-incomprehensible system analysis.

So yeah, I'm used to crashes.

No big deal, I just boot up the game again, prepared to confidently resume from where I left off, only to discover that no, no I can't. Because GTA3, and indeed all it's succesors appear to hate the idea of quicksaving. It's just a crazy idea to them. For me, unfortunatly, it's two entirely wasted hours. I don't even have fake progress on a computer game to show for it. Fuck.

So, if I seem a little annoyed tomorrow, it's just because of a couple of things that I've got going on. No worries.

----------------
Now playing: David Bowie / Ziggy Stardust

No comments: