Monday 20 October 2008

Day Twenty Six: So. Zombies.

Ouch. That's just nasty.

Anyway, yeah, have you seen the previews and stuff for Dead Set? A zombie invasion takes over Britain and contestants in the Big Brother house are forced to survive? Not a single part of that sounds bad to me. Not one single part.

I've been on a bit of a zombie kick recently. In my first week, as well as buying a single textbook, I also bought World War Z, which proceeded to rock my socks so hard that I have actually been left sockless ever since I finished it. Holy hell, it's just fantastically well written, but what made it even better is the way that I came into it. I thought this was going to be a nice comedic novel, with maybe a bit of zombie 'science' thrown in. I mean, the book has a review by Simon Pegg on the cover. This has got to be hilarious!

Well, in the opening chapters we've got the most unnerving scene developing as the zombie plague spreads worldwide, like a freakier version of bubonic plague. Countries become overrun, economies collapse, and international relations break down further and further with OMG SPOILARZ ETC ETC. Needless to say, the shit really starts to hit the fan later on, as the armies get called in, and this is how the book really excels, putting across not an American centric view, but a true, global view of how the war is going down.

The genius lie in the fact, however, that this book is set in the aftermath of the war, post zombie outbreak, in a completely changed world, with all the old geopolitical realities changed and the makeup of humanity irrevocably changed. And man, I just ate this shit up. Fantastic.

So, when I hear that there's a movie being made, I have two reactions.

1) Holy shit, this is awesome!
2)Fuck, I really hope they don't screw this up.

It's still in the air. And hopefully, it'll come out, be a massive success, while kicking serious ass at the same time. And it's at that point, my friends, that you'll point to your copies of World War Z, and say "Pfft, the movie? I had the book before this shit was cool.

----------------
Now playing: The Long Winters / Pushover

No comments: